The Call

He called today, just as I finished dealing with two grumpy kids in the middle of dinner. Quick news from down under! The flight in tomorrow will be delayed. Here are the new times, choice of two; the later it is!...unless I call you.

I feel like I'm in secretary mode, "Uh huh, uh huh, gotcha. Well, have a safe trip and I hope you get in some sight-seeing between now and then!" It's an expensive cell phone call, so that's the end of it. I reflect, in some ways being away for 16 months to Bahrain was better. Then at least, we got to have regular phone calls twice a week, plus a webcam session. Oh, but then I reflect deeper. That really stunk. All five of us wafted in and out of emotional wreckage, and how many times did I have to have a personal cry-fest before I could compose myself (and reapply concealer) before going on webcam? And how many times did the webcam session fail just as I had settled into it, practically ripping my heart with my composure? Far too many! Ok, perspective reached. Two weeks away with a few e-mails and short business like phone calls is better. Let's see how perspective lasts once the in-two, out-two's start.... 7/17/09

No comments:

Post a Comment