Old Vs. New


At the pharmacy, on a military base, in the summer, just before the end of the month, it’s really crowded.

Is there a squadron just coming back from overseas, or is one getting ready to head out?  In front of me at the refill window, sporting a buzz cut, with T-shirt taut against a v-cut back and bulging biceps, calf muscles bulging beneath the legs of his jeans, the Marine is the image of health, fitness and strength.  Behind me is an older gentleman, perhaps in his eighties. He is tall, and he looks to be in good health at a glance, though he pitches forward slightly and has a bit of a slow, slightly staggering gait.  He asks if I am in line.  As I glance up and reply, I notice his decorated ball cap.  Without wanting to do a double take, I think, “Did it say Vietnam Veteran”?  I am struck by the contrast of the man ahead and the man behind me.  As if looking at black and white photos of my handsome uncles in their 20s, my mind quickly flits to a vision of this older man as a strapping youngster with his tone showing through his T-shirt, like the man ahead of me.  Both deserving respect and admiration for service to their country,  I’m sure the young man when in uniform gets it.  I ask the man behind me if he’d like to go ahead of me.  He barely indicates ‘yes’, but moves ahead, not offering gratitude, confusion, or need.  I’m not offended.  It occurs to me that his energy is being spent on this outing, and he needn’t waste any on acknowledging me.  If I had all the time in the world,  and a bit more courage, I would have loved to ask him about his service, proudly displayed on his cap, with Veteran neatly stitched in the Navy gold lettering that stands out so well on a navy blue cap. 

The woman behind the counter tells him that it is a forty-five minute to an hour wait.  Perhaps she is struck by the same contrast in her customers that struck me.  She offers that he can go do something and come back.  He says he’ll wait, but says to the air as he turns, ...if there is a seat.  There is a seat, at the far end of the waiting room.  So with his slow, slightly staggering gait he heads that way.  I don’t have the authority to make anyone nearer get up.


7/29/10

1 comment:

  1. You know I had a lot of experience like that and the feeling that I cannot do anything about it even if I want to makes me realize that this is life.

    Military spouse jobs

    ReplyDelete